Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Human Pearl

Confession: I am a nose picker. I don’t think this is a revolutionary declaration and probably doesn’t even warrant the “Confession” beginning that I used because I think a high percentage of the population are nose pickers. In fact, I’m convinced that people who just plain refuse to stick their own fingers in their own noses make up a very small percentage of the population. (1.6% according to the latest U.S. census survey)

Despite the high level of picking that occurs there is still a negative stigma attached to this very natural process. And to me, this begs the question, when did picking ones nose become socially unacceptable? It is not my intention here to be gross or juvenile. And I’m definitely not striving for shock value since, despite the negative stigma attached to picking, the subject is too juvenile, while at the same time not gross enough to solicit any real shock. It’s just that I have been thinking a lot about social norms and cultural relativity, and this subject is one of many that address the greater issue. I guess I could have written about a number of things; shaking hands, bowing, chewing with mouths closed, burping, flatulence, shoe and shirt requirements, clapping, forms of chivalry, functionless clothing, and other seemingly innocuous acts of social propriety.

To me this subject lacks inappropriate connotation because of my personal feelings about the item being picked. When analyzed scientifically, the booger is not as unpleasant as pop culture would have you believe. I have reasoned that the booger is not unlike the pearl. My comparison is not in the realm of aesthetic beauty or monetary value, but in origin. Though I am not a marine biologist, it is my understanding that a pearl is made when an oyster gets an unwelcome grain of sand inside its shell. The grain causes discomfort and to cope with said discomfort the oyster spins mucus around the grain. Once hardened, the final product is a pearl. In like manner, the human will get a foreign object in its nose (i.e. sand, dust, saw-dust, etc.) and to cope with the discomfort the human nose will coat the object with mucus. This conclusion has helped me look at my boogers in a whole new light. I don’t think I’ll soon be making a necklace of them. But still, it’s not impossible that my family will someday fall on hard times and I’ll need an anniversary gift.

Aside from the social implications, there is still some danger in picking ones nose. And it is this danger that has occupied an inordinate amount of my thoughts. The other night, while driving home, I started to wonder to myself about the possibility of picking a vein large enough to cause massive hemorrhaging from the nose. And if I struck the large vein, would I have the wherewithal, amidst all the bleeding, to get myself to a hospital?
This led me to think about what would happen if I died at the hospital. So I started making mental plans about what to do in such an event. Get my wallet so I have Id. But the address on my license is incorrect. This could lead to an unpleasant exchange.
“Miss, I regret to inform you that your husband has died.”
“Died?! How? What happened?!!”
“He bled to death due to a nose picking accident.”
“NOOOOO! THAT BASTARD! HE TOLD ME HE QUIT! THAT LYING BASTARD!”
“I’m sorry Mrs. Quinn.”
“Who?”
“Is your husband not Ben Quinn?”
“No.”
“Sorry to alarm you.”

It could take days before my family was finally tracked down and told of my untimely demise.

I rethink my mental plans. Grab my cell phone. Once I die they’ll go through my pockets, find my wallet, learn my identity, send a cop to the wrong house, find my phone, start calling everybody in my contact list alphabetically. Hopefully Adam will tell them who my wife is so they don’t bother calling all the people I don’t care about between A and K. Good. Don’t forget the phone.

My wife has little patience for the deeper questions in life. If I asked her if she thought death by nose pick was possible, she’d roll her eyes far enough to see her own brain. I know this because every once in a while, while driving along in silence, I make the mistake of vocalizing some of my deeper questions.
“If you were paid 100 dollars an hour to work out, would you limit yourself to working out one or two hours a day, or would you work out to the point of becoming freakishly ripped with all your veins popping out all over and your breasts turning to man pecks, just so you could be rich?”
“Who’s going to pay me 100 dollars an hour to work out?”
“No one, I know. But for arguments sake, what would you do?”
“Where are they getting the money, and how does my working out benefit them?”
“Forget who or where the money is coming from! Just answer the question!”
“No. It’s stupid. It would never happen.”
At this point my daughter would chime in and remind my wife that we do not say, “stupid”, and the conversation would be over. I would then recede back into my own mind where there is greater opportunity for profound and meaningful conversation between the hemispheres of my brain.

Deep into this conversation I feel an itch and have to pick. “Wait a minute,” I tell myself. “Grab your wallet. Check. Get your phone. Check. Think of the nearest hospital. Check. Now dig away. But use caution, because

14 comments:

Babe in Boysland said...

I know you may not believe this, but this conversation with your wife is nearly identical to dozens, nay hundreds, of conversations I've had with my husband, in which his idiocy has forced me to look at my brain.

We enjoy laughing at all the crap you seem to know about our life.

Unknown said...

I must say thank you for this post. I myself am a nose-picker and come from a family of nose-pickers. Everyone does it and if they say they don't, they are lying. I must tell you, I don't feel you will ever die of picking it...however, always make sure you have Kleenexes in your car, per chance you cause a bleed ;)

Christie said...

Why do you think we women are so in touch with our feelings? Because we roll our eyes a dozen times a day, look inside our own head, and come to terms with what's going on in there. Please never make a necklace out of you-know-what (I can't even write it, it disgusts me so).

The McKell Spot said...

That picture has left me speechless and with a little vomit in my mouth.

Jewels said...

Perhaps I am different than most, but when my husband poses to me a random question that has no possibility of ever coming to fruition, I ponder and answer it.

I had an idea for you - you should put "911" in your phonebook. It will be at the top of your list and then you can simply press one button for help should the nose picking go awry.

Prunella Jones said...

I feel about it like this: If people weren't meant to pick, then why do our fingers fit so perfectly in there?

Jake Titus said...

Bravo!

Well done. Now if you could just help me find the guy that says...

"Don't use a buisness card to pick your teeth." -or- "don't put anything in your ear but your elbow."

I would appreciate it. I want to kill that little prick.

skcoe said...

Nice. Now every time I look at my anniversary gift from my husband all I'm going to see is a string of dried boogers.

Thank you sooooo much for that visual.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am not really a nose picker...that title falls squarely and proudly on Brett, as you very well may know. Not only does he publicly pick, but he's not above flinging them at people who may be within flicking distance...is this something he learned whilst living with the Quinn's? Is this something I have you guys to thank for? That and sayings like panty-waist and bright star...?

Bringhursts said...

Gross.

crazy4danes said...

Thank you for giving me one more thing for my OCD brain to obsess about...The possibility of dying while picking!!!! :D

theriddle said...

Ben I have to tell you that Leaders DO NOT pick their noeses.

I'm pretty sure that Ben from last year picked his nose AND drank coffee.

Have you taken your vision shot
lately?

Rhea said...

That was the most disgusting photo I've seen in a while. ICK.

I have no problems with people picking their noses (and I'll do it too) as long as it's a private thing...

ashley said...

Ok Ben-admit it. The only reason you came up with this post is so you could gross us out with that photo at the end. It worked. :)