Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Got Fired

"I Got Fired." Possibly the most pride swallowing three-word combination in the English language. It ranks right up there with "she dumped me," and "I've got herpes." It must be one of the worst phrases to have to utter to friends, family, and acquaintances. But invariably, we, or someone we know, will have to say it sometime in our lives.

I've had to say it to friends and acquaintances since July and each time I do it feels as if a little bit of the light, that was my dignity, is snuffed out. Now, the circumstances are such that I am not really ashamed of my recent dismissal, but I know that even when I try to explain the circumstances to people, they are still judging me on some level. "Sure, your boss was wacko," they say out loud, without sarcasm. But in their minds they are saying, sure your boss was wacko... with sarcasm.

Now, most people would think that a sense of humor would be an asset to a high school teacher. At least, that's what my students and many of their parents told me. In fact, the only person who told me otherwise just happened to be the person who held my tenuous position at that school in her dry, bony hands. Let's call her Skeletor. Skeletor was the school director and ran the show with carte blanche authority. She was one of those people who compartmentalized human emotions into different sections of life. Sure, humor had its place. But a school full of teenagers certainly wasn't it. I mean, c’mon.

Skeletor was supposed to be my mentor. She told me, in not so many words, that under her guiding wing and strict tutelage I would someday make a fine teacher of youth. Ironically, she was the most uneducated person I'd ever met. (That's not true. I once knew a homeless guy named Polaris that used to bathe himself in the sink and eat his lunch on the toilet of a public restroom. What I meant was, she was the most uneducated person in the field of education.) It wasn't unusual for her to be confused by words used in everyday conversation, like "ironically".
Skeletor actually only came to my class and observed three times the whole year. (Where was the guiding wing of knowledge and power, I cried from within as I struggled through each class alone.) After the class ended and the students walked out she pulled a seat to my desk so we could go over her meticulous notes and the real training could begin. The only thing I remember from those enlightening conversations was that my humor made me both unapproachable, and un-relatable to the students. I think you've let your life as a stand-up comedian cross over too much in to your teaching career, she would say. I never was a stand-up comedian, I explained. Well, I understand you did comedy, she persisted. I didn't understand what she meant, but the idea conjured images of a man who had a physically intimate relationship with comedy. I laughed to myself and when I did, I realized she was right. My two lives had crossed over. I was laughing at school.

In one breath she would say, I know the kids are having fun in your class, but are they learning anything? And in the next breath she would tell me I'm requiring too much. I was stuck between a rock and a dumb place and wasn't sure how to proceed. In the end she decided that a personality like mine wasn't fit in the world of education. And maybe she was right. If anything can be said of the youth these days, it's that they're studying too hard and laughing too damn much.

20 comments:

Twisted Sister said...

I can show you how to start a children's sewing school out of your house...

BBC said...

boo... obviously skeletor did not understand that in order for youth to listen to what you're saying, you have to be relatable! i bet you are an awesome teacher!

Christie said...

Please move to MO. The youth here are much in need of a good laugh and too much homework. Stupid Skeletor. Does it make you wonder why UT schools are doing so poorly? No surprise there.

Martha said...

I think we should get a group of people together and storm the castle of Skeletor. We would tell lame jokes the whole time and laugh until we peed our pants. Oh, and use words like "Ironically," " categorically," and "persistence."

I like it. I'll start making the posters.

Bringhursts said...

Sure your boss was a wacko . . .

Bringhursts said...

Also, did she look like Maria Shriver? Because that's who I envision when you say Skeletor.

Randy said...

I got fired two years ago, and I now live in constant fear of being fired. Even as I write this comment from my job at work, I'm afraid I'll get fired for something like "surfing the internet on company time". But such fears will not rule my life!

Sorry to hear it. If it's any consolation, the Quinn Brothers show was amazing, and you guys shouldn't be wasting any time with things like "day jobs" or "income"* until you're famous.

*Or "eating", I guess.

theriddle said...

things have been less funny since you've been gone. sob.

Krystal said...

Hi. This was so funny! Oh, sorry about your job and all. :) I do like your sense of humor though. I read this post to my husband and he said that he would like to meet you-so if you are ever in the mood to mosey on over to idaho and get your hands on some massive "tits" you can come visit our dairy! :)

Matt Mattson said...

Look on the bright side- at least you don't have a steady income anymore.

Kris said...

Skeletor huh? I always thought of her more of a Voldemort... trying so hard to gain power.... but whatever floats your boat.

Babe in Boysland said...

Oh, Ben. I know you're trying to be funny, and take this enormous disappointment with humor, but seriously, you ain't foolin' no one suckah- this just bites.

Are you going to go back to ski instruction? :-) On the post where you quit that job there's a whole slew of job suggestions from your faithful readers. Go read it and tell us what you decide to pursue.

Good luck, baby!

Lieutenant Warp said...

Unmighty- You have given me many laughs over the past few months, so in this time of sadness and change, I'd like to offer you the same thing. See if my blog can turn that frown upside down with some controversial humor.

www.colormepsycho.blogspot.com

HaLaine said...

My daughter's first grade teacher is in SERIOUS need of replacement. I'm sure those kids will laugh at your jokes and nod blankly when you say ironically.

kam said...

That just sucks!! You are one of the funniest people "I don't know". I am sure many other people would say the same. Could we all sign a petition for you or something? At the very least I am willing to be listed as a reference on your resume ;)... I would tell them about all the times I have nearly peed my pants laughing at your humor that apparently not everyone appreciates-but rest assured the FUN people do!!! Hang in there and best of luck!

Russ said...

I miss you. You complete me.

Mars said...

This is sad. And she sounds like the evil lady principal from the Harry Potter books.

Cassidy said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear this. When you would talk about teaching on previous posts, I would be so jealous of your students, wishing I had a teacher like you in high school. Best of luck in the search for a new job. Please don't give up on the idea of teaching though.

Kamilli Vanilli said...

Where's damn He-Man when you need him? Surely, by the power of Grayskull, he could defeat evil Skeletor and proclaim you un-fired.

Anonymous said...

Jamie Fairbanks says ...you are welcome to teach in ALASKA. Here just about anyone can make it big.(And I am not just talkin about politics) Plus by the time they firgure out you were fired, you will already have tenure! Plus you make me feel like a history moron with your crazy Trivial Pursuit facts. Plus they won't even attempt to mentor you here.