Monday, April 30, 2007

The Animal Within

Somehow I’m getting cable at my house. I'm not paying for it but it's coming through. The angel inside of me wants to call the cable company and come clean. But the pirate inside of me ran the angel through with his blade. Now, the pirate and I sit back, with feet up, and watch all kinds of nonsense while our bodies atrophy away to a soft pudge. Of all my new-found television interests one of the programs I’ve really learned to enjoy is UFC (Ultimate Fighting Challenge) broadcasts. I think the UFC is entertaining for the same reason programs like WWE, When Animals Attack, and Americas Funniest Videos are entertaining. Because is satisfies a deep seeded blood lust that has been buried under layers of hundreds of years of “civilization.” We may wear a suit and tie and work nine to five and buy our meat pre-wrapped but some ancient part of our nature still wants to hunt, battle, kill, and feel like a predator now and then.

(Side note: I think “Americas Funniest Videos” should be called “Taking it in the Crotch” since every other shot is some poor schmuck getting whacked in the hobbits by his own child or some piece of sports paraphernalia.)

I digress.

I don't know if this feeling is common among men, but as I sit there, bowl of Lucky Charms in hand, milk on my chin, watching these modern day gladiators, I can't help but think, "I could do that." You're probably thinking I'm a naive egomaniac, but bare with me. I figure you've only got to be able to do two things. First, you've got to be able to move fast; speed. This I've got in spades. Sometimes when I'm shadowboxing with myself in the mirror, and my hands start moving with the fury of a class five hurricane, I lose track of them and I almost knock myself out. Also, sometimes when I'm River Dancing, I do an Irish kick so hard that the momentum takes the other leg off the ground and I land on my back. That's the kind of speed I'm talking about. Other than speed you've got to be able to take a hit. This also should not be a problem. And let me tell you why. During my freshman year of high school I once took a flying discus to the temple and walked away without even a concussion. Another time, while riding motorbikes with my brothers, I took a diving header over the handlebars sans helmet. At the end of my flight my cranium head-butted a 20 pound rock. The result; I got six stitches in my crown but the rock got split like a melon. My head is the perfect target for heavy blows.

Now, the physical part of it aside, I do think I would have a hard time with the mental aspect of cage fighting. My whole life I have been more of a lover than a fighter. But to cage fight you have to be willing and able to put the hurt on anyone who steps into the ring with you, and I just don't think I have that mental "kill switch" that you need to survive in there. I have to really dislike a person to put the kybosh on them. So, all although I have all the makings of a killing machine, you will probably just get a nod and a polite hello should we pass on the street. But just a word of warning; should you try and hit me in the head with a discus; oh man, Heaven help you. Because once the "River-Dancer" comes out. There's not much I can do to restrain him.

17 comments:

Bringhursts said...

Okay, so let me add to your list. Paris Hilton, Rosie O'Donnell, Hilary Clinton, Tim Robbins & Susan Sarandon (I hate it when celebrities try to make political statements), and our old neighbor: Mr. OCD. You remember him, the guy who was in love with his leaf blower.

The UnMighty said...

Thank you. They are all welcome additions.

Melissa said...

Anyone who considers "Gum" one of their hobbies.

Anonymous said...

Bad move posting a hit list on the World Wide Webb Quinn. You just better hope and pray that nothing happens to the Davis boys now that youve identified yourself as the president of the Id-like-to-punch-the-Davis-twins-in-the-throat-club. Id like to punch this keyboard in the throat since the apostrophe key doesnt work.
p.s. I remember the tin-foil belt buckle you little punk. Youll get yours!!! (We had band together in 6th grade)

The UnMighty said...

Oooooooo. I'm shaking in my outdated cowboy boots.

Bringhursts said...

Tom Green. Not the polygamist.

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. Love your stuff

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!

Anonymous said...

nice blog!Nice information

Anonymous said...

:-) ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

Thank You! Very interesting article. Do you can write anything else about it?

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. Write something else. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

soglasen s vami ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

ery interesting blog, you say. I agree with you!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. It very impressive. Enjoyed the visit!