Thursday, May 31, 2007

Noteworthy Encounter

Recently, while on the road performing and promoting my band at a convention, I was checking into a Motel 6 for the night. Unwittingly, I forgot to remove a name badge I was wearing that, along with my name, included some other info. Included in that info was the word "comedy." The following exchange I had with Kevin, the desk clerk, is true and as accurate as I can remember.

Kevin: "So you're a comedian?"

(Note: I consider myself more of a musician than a comedian. But to avoid having to explain my nametag I said;)
Me: "Well, sort of."

Kevin: "You know what’s awesome about comedians? They get their material from real life experiences."

Me: (Smiling politely at his astute observation) "I guess so."

Kevin: "They can even get material from lame encounters and stupid conversations."

That said, I'd like to dedicate this blog to Kevin.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow, Kevin walked right into that one. I'm glad he cleared up for you where you can get material from. Another one of lifes mysteries revealed.

Anonymous said...

Ben,
It was nice meeting you but I never thought I would become the brunt of one of your jokes. Sorry for trying to make conversation, Wise Ass.

The UnMighty said...

Kevin,
Thank you for writing. I've missed you. I just wanted to let you know, one cannot be the "brunt" of a joke since "brunt" denotes an amount of something, specifically the larger amount of whatever that something is. I think what you meant was that you were the "butt" of my joke. And not just the brunt of the butt, the whole butt.
Take it easy buddy.

Bringhursts said...

Gotcha, sucker.