Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Memories In A Flash

The advent of the digital camera has infused our generation with a new kind of nostalgia; a nostalgia of the immediate past. Never mind the bygone days when things were simpler, all children loved and revered their parents, and mom-and-pop shops had yet to be snuffed out by the super store. No, never mind all that. We long for the immediate past. Despite the fact that we were just there OR are even still there, we want to relive those precious moments that we’ve just had. That is why everything you buy these days “is also a camera”; your phone, your computer, your camera. Need I say more?

Because of this phenomenon my children are part of the most photographed generation in history. And it’s not because they are cuter, and therefore more deserving of lens time. (Well, mine are. But I’m certain yours aren’t.) It’s because cameras are small, compact, cheap, and part of every other piece of technology. It’s getting to the point where it’s unreasonable to not have one.

Recent studies show that 96% of Generation X Americans have only seen one pre-marriage picture of their grandfather[s]. And it’s probably the one of him in overalls (nothing else) in front of a small schoolhouse with a small group of other children who look like orphans or chain-gangers.
94% of the same group saw an average of four pre-marriage photos of their father. And each time were embarrassed by both his goofy haircut and the girth of his glasses. The same percentage of Generation X has one photograph from every school year attended, along with some random pictures from various family vacations.

My children, Generation Z, are a totally different story. Their lives are an experience in intrusive documentary. If my kids were celebrities my wife would be the most vicious of paparazzi. (The kind that, while their child is on a tricycle, runs beside them with a camera, trying to capture a moment of them in real life, despite the fact that their child is trying to escape in a panic and crashes into a tunnel entrance wall and kills everyone on board including her Muslim lover.) (Too soon?) I say “my wife” because technology alone is not responsible for this ever-growing photo frenzy. Moms are the other half of the equation. Most dads on the other hand are convinced that simply experiencing a moment in time will suffice. But women half to catch it, and then relive it immediately just in case they missed some nuance of the fleeting moment.

While visiting the in-laws over Thanksgiving, my wife, our two kids, a few of the in-laws, and I went to The Aquarium of The Pacific to enjoy some nature just as God intended; in captivity. To support my thesis I would like to include an actual conversation, between my wife and I, that took place there.

Her: “Set the kids against the glass there.”

I comply because that’s what a dad does. He’s ever posing the kids so to convince all her friends that her children are in a constant state of “cuteness.”

Me: “Like this?”

Her: “No! So that Maggie’s arm is around Cash’s shoulder! Make it natural.”

Me: “Sorry.”

I fix the arm. Maggie understands what’s happening and fights it. Cash falls over. I hurry and stand him up because I know I’m blowing it.

Her: “Just get out of the way.”

Me: “Right. Sorry.”

She snaps the picture and immediately changes the function to “view.”

Her: “Oh my gosh mom, look how cute!”

Her mom excitedly hurries to her side. This gets her sisters attention and soon all three women are huddled around a tiny LCD screen, making the noises women make whilst viewing pictures of children (even if the kid has a face like Mr. Ed). But that’s not enough.

Her: “Honey, come look at this.”

Me: “That’s OK, I know what it looks like.”

Her: “Whadaya mean, ‘you know what it looks like’?”

Me: “I was there. You just took it. I was looking at the same scene you just photographed. The image is fresh in my brain, and I love it. No picture could improve that moment for me. It was magical. But you should know, after you took the picture, while you were pouring over it with maternal enthusiasm, you missed out on a bunch of other cute crap our kids did. Cash did a little tap dance for passers by, and earned over $10 in change, and Maggie struck up a conversation about the pros and cons of Affirmative Action with an elderly black man. It was adorable. I’m sorry you missed it.”

Her: “Why don’t you love our children?”

Despite what my wife may think, I do love my children and I do appreciate pictures of them when more than three seconds have past.

Here is a very small fraction of the pictures taken in the recent past.

Cash at his first swim lesson. (We did not stage this. He climbed in there of his own accord. My wife just left him in there long enough to photograph... and get something to drink.)


My kids spend 95% of their waking hours sitting around in nature in cute clothes, smiling.


Maggie's first pair of slutty boots.


A day at the aquarium.


The three most important people in the world.

17 comments:

BBC said...

what a fabulous post ben! i wasn't even the slightest bit insulted by your remarks about women... probably because i know when i have kids of my own, i too, will be the mom frantically running alongside the bicycle just so that i can capture "the moment"! also, i love the picture of cash in the toilet! that is a classic!

Melissa said...

Ya know, Ben - I love to read your blogs about you and Kat. I love t imagine those people who aren't familiar with the dynamic between you and Kat - saying things like, "Oh - that sexist a-hole. Where does he come up with these gems?" I'd just like to say - they're all true. I am hereby starting my own blog:
www.sheshouldleaveben.blogspot.com

The UnMighty said...

Dearest Melissa,
Some taketh the truth to be hard.

Anonymous said...

yeah, too sone.
And those boots look like the ones I got for my birthday.

Bringhursts said...

Hee hee hee. In Kat's defense, you always forget about things until you take pictures. Like, how could I ever remember the Boston trip without all my pictures of you gyrating on the phallic symbols?

AMY said...

Funny, you didn't post the pic of you gyrating on the phallic symbol. Now that's one we'd all love to see!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new header. TOO FUNNY!
And the first swimming lesson is a classic. How would you ever remember that if Wifey wasn't RIGHT there with her camera? (Ok, maybe you took that one.)
Anyway...love it when you post. You need to do it more often!

Anonymous said...

New to your blog and I must say I truly admire your way with words. Your wit and humor are appreciated!

You will thank your little wifey in, oh, about 10 years when your little ones are older and don't want to pose. I had posers for children, they still know that just because the flash has gone off, the picture taking experience isn't done, oh, no. Mom must take at least 2 or 3 more pictures in JUST THE SAME POSE just in case this one was blurry. Because mom can delete them before she downloads them!

I'm so thankful for all the pictures I took, I just wish I would have had an SLR. Oh, the pictures I would have taken, the treasures, the works of art. Heck, I wish I had an SLR right now.

Nortorious said...

Fabulous toilet picture.
Do we know some of the same people? How did you find me?

Anonymous said...

I must confess that I'm the picture-taker in the family...thousands of them. Now I'm all worried that people are thinking of me the way you think of women and pics. Great...now I have a complex. It's bad enough being fat - but fat and worried about taking photos? It's too much.

lindsey said...

My mom is a picture taker. She is 60. Still prefers film to digital. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

We all went to Disneyland a few years ago. Mind you my sister and I were in our 20's, along with my hubby and dad who hate posing. As we waited for the Thunder Mountian train to load up, my mom jumped out of her seat and told us to "smile". The teenage ride attendant called her "honey" and told her to sit back down. That memory will forever sum up my mom and her love of pictures.

You must have a knowledge of skin rashes. You are the only one who got it right ;). ha!

Spammon said...

See, I get a little over analytical about the pictures. My son is finally able to sit still for 10 seconds giving me enough time to take the picture, but instead, I am fiddling around with the white balance, f-stop, zoom, focus, ISO, shutter speed, and anything else I shouldn't be playing with. And by the time I figure out the perfect picture settings, he's already walked off, ate lunch, pooped his diaper and went down for a nap. And my picture still turned out completely black.

jenji said...

Okay....

Now, I know poeple use the LOL far too much in cyberspace...but seriously,

"why don't you love our children?"

well, that lil beauty made me do a full out, I Love Lucy spit take (orange juice gets sticky fast btw)!

THAT was priceless.

great post!

it made my otherwise crappy day end on a good note...

jenji

crystal said...

I'm having lima beans in 192 days, like the oven timer says. Kook. Your kids are cute; every girl needs a pair of slutty boots.

Hannah said...

I wasn't prepared to laugh and laugh when I clicked over to your blog just now. But then:

"Maggie struck up a conversation about the pros and cons of Affirmative Action with an elderly black man. It was adorable."

And I did. Also I would like to borrow Maggie's slutty boots.

Cora Zane said...

LOL! I love these! Whew, I never thought about it until now... parent paparazzi. Yikes! *guilty*

Anonymous said...

Found your blog from another one and I must say, you crack me up! Great post and I enjoyed your thoughts on our photo-generation. Very funny stuff!

Jake said...

Very clever post! I am guilty of being a serious paparazzi...the first thing my kids say when I snap a photo is "Lemme see me! Lemme see me!" Instant gratification, anyone?