Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Yeah!

Where I come from we have this tradition and deep seeded religious belief that February 29th, the extra day of every leap year, is very special. Like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Arbor Day, February 29th is accompanied by it’s own set of mystical beliefs, and outré traditions. The belief is that on the 29th the eyes of heaven are closed and the people of the world are unattended and basically unaccountable for anything they do that day. Needless to say the 29th soon became a day of revelry, lasciviousness, gluttony, horseplay, tomfoolery, bally-hoo, hijinks, buffoonery, capers, shenanigans, and overall unwonted behavior.

Now, some people would argue that bad, or immoral behavior deterred only by fear of the stick, is callow, and is at the lowest level of self-governance. While some would say, that righteousness due to external incentives is not righteousness, Others would say, “No ones watching?! YAHOO!!”

If you were previously unaware of this unique holiday allow me to illustrate just what you’ve been missing out on.

In 1980, when I was two, and still a bit of a novice, I pulled off my diaper, unbeknownst to my parents, and crapped myself silly. Looking back, it seems more like a vicious prank on myself as much as anyone else.
1984; Some other first graders and I took a carton of eggs and a balloon launcher and shot eggs at cars on the freeway. Unfortunately four people lost their lives that day. Fortunately, they were all pretty old and on their way out anyway.
1988; I joined a PETA youth group and helped them burn down a facility that was doing medical tests on animals. The screams that came from the animals that we forgot to un-cage still haunt my dreams.
1992; I leaked a story to the LA Times that the 29th of February had been moved to the 29th of April. Some uninformed Americans still believe that the LA riots were a result of the acquittal of the white police officers that beat Rodney King like a piñata, instead of the truth, which is, they were just enjoying the regular celebratory rights of the 29th.
1996; I verbally supported Bill Clinton all day.
2000; I went to Vegas, got a job, and danced with the Chippendales for the whole night. Financially it was time well spent because, aside from my wages, I made $68.94 in tips. (Admittedly, it’s a little awkward dancing with 94 cents clinking around in the sling area of one’s Speedo.)
2004; I had a hard time enjoying the 29th that year because, unlike previous years, I was married to someone who cracks an even bigger whip than the Man upstairs. So, it was pretty much a let down.
This year I reclaimed my independence. I got up, took off my son’s diaper, and then left for work. I later found out from my wife that he’s doing his part to carry on my legacy.

I hope you all had an eventful 29th. Only four more years ‘till we get to do it again.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm not following the whole "click here now" concept. Maybe I'm stoopid.

skcoe said...

I love the completely random labels you put on this post. My best friend and I used to put random things on the "Note" section on our checks just to really mix things up... So people would wonder where on EARTH we had been shopping that would sell us fishnet stockings, moon boots, motorcycle tires, golf balls and a gun rack.

Yeah, probably Walmart.

skcoe said...

WHY did you tell us about all these rights AFTER the holiday was already over? Now I have to wait four more years...

Not cool, NOT COOL.

Melissa said...

Yeah - I COULD just call, but seeing as how I'm on your blog, and how comments are the only self esteem you have - I'll ask in comment form:

Everything go okay last night? I'm pumped - let me know when I can help!

...Feeling like a loser for using the word pumped, yet not changing it.

Bringhursts said...

I can't believe you wore a banana hammock in 2000 and only made 69 bucks in tips.

Anonymous said...

Crap...I suck. I didn't do anything. All I did was listen to Irish music and eat at Hibachi-San. I'm not awesome.

HaLaine said...

Hey UnMighty, I secretly read your blog a few days ago...found it on your brother's blog...and had a good laugh at the High School-isms. It reminds me of why I pay large amounts of money to put my kids in private school...which has nothing to do with YOU as a teacher, rest assured...that kind of silliness has been accruing for quite some time. As for the 29th, in a little place called Uruguay, people who have their birthdays on the 29th are special. Veintinueves they call them...and they get special food...gnocci...too bad the poor saps who were born on February 29th only get homemade gnocci once every four years.

theriddle said...

Love the new you in Green.

Tom Quinn. said...

I don't recall much of the 29th, but here's what I do know. I have another wife (don't tell Tanya). There's a human heart in my fridge. And, I'm sporting a fresh tat on my right buttock that reads "Jack, I'll never let go". I'm looking forward to 2012.

Olivia McCord said...

I liked 1996

Admiral Joe said...

I celebrated leap year similarly. I paid some lady to cut my wife's abdomen. I then ate a bunch of fast food and slept on a vinyl chair for two nights.
The worst part about having coins in your thong is not the jangling- that's actually kind of refreshing. It's the demoralizing value of allowing a lady to push a few nickels past your waistband.

Ashley said...

lol! I'm loving your blog header...and I'm really disappointed I didn't know about this whole "be crazy" on the 29th. Well...next time, right?

Thanks for visiting my blog!!

Kat said...

Banana hammock. HA! That always cracks me up.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it!

Hailey said...

Wow...the Speedo imagery...

I enjoyed your Valentine's Day video, by the way...