Saturday, June 7, 2008

Food For Thought

“Twinkies.” A simple recipe: angel’s food and cream. I’m not sure what’s in “angels food,” but no one does; no mortal anyway. But if God approved it for his angels, you know it must be good. And I’m sure the cream came straight from the teat of a free-range cow. Twinkies just might be one of the greatest foods ever made by God and nature. At least that’s what I used to think, that is, until I learned any Tom, Dick, or Harry can read the real ingredients ON THE BACK OF THE PACKAGE! Yeah, I’m serious. See for yourself.

To my dismay, I learned that Hostess has been sticking it to their loyal customers for years. Still don’t believe me? Here are the ingredients as written on the package, word for word:
enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, Beef fat, crack, baby fat, bone fragment, toast, camel toes, silly putty, toadstool, hummus, tooth filling, Spam, pumice stone, paper, rock, scissors, Hepatitis A, B, and C, Sharpie, bike tire, sand, depression, lederhosen, dandruff, HIV, back hair, polio, communism, rubber-bands, scabies, racism, crude oil, turpentine, polite oil, arsenic, incest, full blown AIDS, and hatred.

Although I now have a better explanation for the negative feeling I experience after eating a package of Twinkies, I’m not sure what I set out to do by writing this post. I certainly don’t want to cause harm to the Hostess Corporation, or it’s stockholders. They’re just honest people trying to make a buck, same as anyone else. I do think the inclusion of some of their ingredients could be deemed socially irresponsible, what with the current health crisis and all. But I have to concede that I am not a baker and wouldn’t know the first thing about what it takes to make a world-class pastry.

It may be of comfort to some to learn that the ingredients are listed in order from highest to lowest content amount. This was a relief to me because, despite the fact that sugar and high fructose corn syrup are bad for you, they are significantly less harmful than say, turpentine or full blown AIDS which are present in much smaller quantities. That said, now I think I’m just being a bit of a “Nervous Nelly” and should stop worrying so much about what goes into my body.

After all, I didn’t acquire the body of a Greek god by eating my vegetables. I never acquired the body of a Greek god by eating twinkies, either, but I tried vegetables once and it didn't work, so I gave them up long ago. No telling what Mother Nature puts in that stuff.

16 comments:

Jake Titus said...

Unmighty,
The folks at Hostess must be pretty cool people. From what I'm reading it looks like they changed the recipe a bit. They really must care, because they dropped the asbestos, head cheese, and yellow dye #9. If they made these changes to Twinkies, I can only imagine what they took out of Ding Dongs!
Jake

Anonymous said...

I knew I tasted something funny. Mmmmm, twinkies.

kacy faulconer said...

Does Twinkie the Kid know about this? Because I know for a fact he has issues with racism, et al and wouldn't want it in his ingredients. Maybe King Ding Dong could issue some sort of decree?

Christie said...

I think what makes Twinkies taste so good is that little dose of communism. Ummmm, communism, aaarrrgggh (think Homer Simpson with that last line).

crazy4danes said...

LOL...loved your post! Well written! :D

My mom always told me they were made with the cream from the mushrooms on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!!! Oh well, I'll add that to my list of disappointments...

Santa
Easter Bunny
Tooth Fairy
Twinkies!

Mars said...

In your new header picture, it appears as if the sun is rising between The Grinch's hairy bosoms...

Tom Quinn. said...

I only eat scientifically enhanced food, and never touch that organic crap.

I can't think of a single super-hero who didn't benefit from a little radioactivity, or chemical sludge.

-maybe x-ray vision will be one of my powers.

jenji said...

Well, that explains why I've been to this day, trying to digest the same Twinkie from 1978!

Now, onto those pesky Peeps.

jenji

Genny said...

Well crap, crude oil? Does that mean they'll be getting more expensive? I suppose I should introduce a new food to my children, then...they don't do well with sudden change...

Melissa said...

Was this written before or after you stood in my kitchen and said, "I could really go for a twinky right now"?

Bringhursts said...

I love back hair. Not only is it sexy, it tastes good too.

HaLaine said...

I always want to leave something witty and funny when I comment after snorting aloud while reading your blog. But the wittiness is violently expelled with each spew post snort.

HaLaine said...

Wow. That got annoying. I am NOT the Thrillionaires. I am the Bakers...phew.

Renaissance Woman said...

I love Twinkie's! They are so much better than asparagus (plus you don't get that nasty side effect).

Jewels said...

'High fructose corn syrup'?!? I was willing to overlook the other ingredients, but a chick has to have some kind of standard.

Jessie said...

"scabies". Priceless.