Monday, June 30, 2008

My Life As A Biker

I’ve heard it said, that a woman becomes a mother the moment she feels the baby move inside her, and a man becomes a father the moment he sees his child. I think it goes something like that. Anyway, now that I have been through the experience twice I can testify of its truthfulness. Long before I felt any connection to the little bag-o-guts, my wife was already loving, thinking, and planning; forming a bond that was months ahead of the one I would one day begin.

There is a little less known saying that goes, a man becomes a biker the first time he hears the roar of a hog motoring down the street, but a woman becomes a biker's wife only after her husband secretly withdraws money out of their joint account, sneaks out, and buys a motorbike. I think it goes like that. I am happy to say that that day has finally arrived, and we are now the proud new parents of a Shadow Aero 750.


My life as a biker is everything I dreamed it would be; freedom, adventure, power, women, bar fights, hell raising, rock ‘n’ roll, wheelies, rumbles, petty crime, superior gas mileage, and the amazing feeling of wind in my short hair. Well, the gas mileage and the part about the wind are true. Everything else is stifled by my strong sense of civic and family responsibility. But for the most part, it’s everything I dreamed it would be.

To those who know me, it may seem that I remain mostly unchanged. They’re probably saying, “Sure he rides a kick-A hog, but it’s still the same old Ben. He still baths and everything.” But I have changed. For those who don’t own a motorbike this may be hard to understand, but I am a brother who comes from a vast fraternity of brothers. No, I’m not black. (Not 100% anyway.) I am the newest member of the family of bikers. To the layperson it may be hard to see the bond of friendship and love we share. (This bond doesn’t include bullet bikers. Nobody likes bullet bikers. Not even themselves.) The idea of such a bond is completely foreign to car drivers, but that is because car drivers hate each other. When you are in a car, the only thing that can make you angrier than social injustice and child abuse is a stupid driver. And when you’re in a hurry, everybody is stupid, except you. But such is not the case among bikers. We live by a higher law. And although you may not see the bond and higher law, it’s there. Don’t believe me? Next time you're driving behind a biker on the highway, watch what he does when he passes another biker. If he thinks you’re not looking he’ll take his left hand and point at the ground at a 45 degree angle.

I quickly learned that this was called the “Signal of Brotherhood” (S.O.B.). At first, I was certain everybody was pulling the “made you look” joke on me. But I figured this wasn’t the case when they never came back to punch me in the arm. Later, I determined they were pointing at Hell, as in, “See you in Hell, bro.” Again, I was mistaken. Finally, I learned that it was a signal of recognition and acceptance, as in, “Hello there brother. I see you, and you see me. We see each other and therefore we are not alone. I do not know you personally, but I love you and am loved of you. If you are ever in trouble, just perform the scream of the Norse god, Kerfluggon, and your brothers will be there, in all their raging furry, to fight on your behalf.”

Upon further research I learned that the S.O.B. was not always performed the way we see it now. Up until 1973 the S.O.B. was a low five. You actually slapped hands with oncoming bikers. You’re probably thinking an actual five is way awesomer than a non-five, and you’d be right. It was way awesomer. But the original S.O.B. was wrought with peril. S.O.B. deaths were not uncommon. But it wasn’t until Sonny “Bones” Wilcox, leader of the Southeast chapter of Hells Angels, S.O.B.’d a passing biker, swerved into an oncoming semi, folded like an accordian on impact sending his butt through the back of his face, and killing him instantly, that the biker community decided to change the way the S.O.B. was performed. Needless to say, the language is changing but the feeling and intent remain the same.

Despite my new adoption into the larger family of bikers, I am convinced that true arrival as a biker does not occur until one is part of a "gang." But rather than join and conform to the rigid traditions of an existing gang, I’ve decided to form my own. That way, I make the rules by which I live. Since the names, “Hells Angels” and “BACA” ,(which turned out to be an acronym about some sissy child advocates group), were already taken I decided to name my gang “The Pillow Fighters.” Right now I am the sole member of the Pillow Fighters, but we’ve got a lot of spirit and I see us doing great things. That said, we are now taking applications for membership and would be happy to consider anyone. So, if you own a hog and would enjoy the association, camaraderie, and fun-loving good times of the Pillow Fighters, then please leave your info and I’ll be in contact.

BORN TO RIDE! RIDE TO BORN!

21 comments:

Salt H2O said...

I've noticed a code among Hybrid drivers too. They exchange smug looks to say, "we're saving the planet and saving tons on gas while the rest of those sharing the road with us are chumps" Instead of the pointing in a 45 degree angle they slow down, way down.

Renaissance Woman said...

Congrats! The bike is nice. I would love to take it off your hands if ever you get tired of the Shadow.

BBC said...

As a teacher, I would think you would know the proper usage of your vs. you're. In the example below, you will notice that your usage of your is incorrect.

"Next time your driving behind a biker on the highway, watch what he does when he passes another biker."

Don't feel bad. Evidently, this is a very common mistake. Therefore, I have provided some tips for your future reference from wikihow.com.

"A frighteningly large percentage of individuals fail to understand the difference between the words "you're" and "your". Here is a quick and dirty crash course on this common usage problem.

Steps

1. Understand the proper usage of the word you're. It is a contraction, or a combination of the words you and are. Other examples of contractions include doesn't, they're, and can't.

* "You're a good friend." ("YOU ARE a good friend.")

* "I don't know what you're talking about." ("I don't know what YOU ARE talking about.")

2. Understand the proper usage of the word your. The word your is the possessive form of you, referring to something that a person has, or something that belongs to the person in discussion [or, the person you are talking to].

* "Is your stomach growling?"
* "Your book is on the table."

3. Take a look at some examples. Each of the following examples shows an incorrect use of your/you're, and why it is incorrect.

* "I can't read you're handwriting."
o Incorrect because the contraction for "you are" is being used as the possessive form of you. It should be replaced with "your". Would "I can't read you are handwriting" make sense?

* "If your hungry, then you should probably eat something."
o Incorrect because there is no possession in question. This should be replaced with you're, or you are. Would "If my hungry..." make sense?

* "Your very smart."
o Again, incorrect. The "very smart" does not belong to the person that you are talking to—this doesn't make any sense. Replace your with you're, or you are.

4. Keep in mind that, in general, the word your will never be followed by the words the, a, or an.

5. Remember that the word your will usually not be followed by an adjective [a word that describes], when that adjective is describing the person that you are talking to. In other words, saying "Your very kind" or "Your stupid" will never be correct, assuming that you are describing the person that you are talking to. However, there is an exception, as shown here:

* "Your nice son brought me my coat."
o Here, your nice is acceptable only because nice is actually describing the person's son.

The UnMighty said...

Clement Clan's Wife,
I'm usually pretty good about that one. But you know, it was late and I was tired and there was something in my eye and whatever. But anyway, thanks for the heads up. The change was promptly made to reduce any further embarrassment.

PS. You should know, the title, "The Clement Clan's Wife" implies that "you're" the wife to an entire clan; as in, married to multiple men and possibly some women. Of course, if that be the case, please disregard this note, and enjoy "your" life of polyandry.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the bike! My hubby and I are on a budget plan to acquire our very own Harley Davidson within the next year. His parents are bikers and so are all of their family friends so luckily we already have a gang but we won't be official until we have the blasted bike.

I also enjoy the S.O.B. signal and have seen it many times in our adventures with our "biker gang". You go man!

Jaaromy said...

I have also felt the love and brotherhood of the S.O.B, even though it felt somewhat diminished by the fact that my ride is an embarrassingly underpowered scooter instead of a manly hog.

Huzzah for bikers and their nondiscriminatory love sharing ways!

Anonymous said...

uhhh...The Pillow Fighters? Is this a gay biker club? In any case, I'm in as long as there are refreshments at the club meetings...and there is a clubhouse, right?

skcoe said...

Um, Innocuous? You did NOT get the S.O.B. signal. Maybe you misread the shaking laughter and pointing as the "sign," but you were wrong. My husband pointed out to me long ago that bullet bikes, scooters and mopeds are NOT acknowledged by the 45 degree hand signal. And I have seen this firsthand. My favorite (while riding the back of our '03 anniversary year Harley V-Rod) is when the little mopeds do their little "beep-beep" and expect to be part of the "brotherhood." It's just not going to happen.

As for the "Pillow Fighters" club, my husband is ABSOLUTELY IN. But if you don't care, I may tell him it's all about scantily clad women at a sleepover. He'll be more likely to come.

CONGRATS ON THE BIKE! And as my husband would say, "Heeeere's your man card."

Jake Titus said...

I just brought my Road King down to Harley for consignment. I will miss it. Enjoy and ride safe.

Anonymous said...

Dude,
Just thought I'd pop in and make a few observations. First, you drive a Honda. It's not a Harley, therefore cannot be called a hog.
You basically have a bullet bike, minus the windshield.
When Bikers point at a 45 to you, they are basically saying that If they see you in a biker bar they are going to put your beat you into the ground.
Other bullet bikers are truly saying hi.
Finally a suggestion, I think you should slap a couple of rainbow stickers on your bike and re-name your "gang" the Pillow Biters.
I think you'd be popular in New Hampshire and Massachutesetts.
But so you don't feel bad, a Honda is a very dependable and smooth riding bike and should last you many many years.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wrote "Put your beat you into the ground".
It didn't make sence.
That doesn't bother me.
If I rode a Honda it probably would.
Keep the greasy side down.

crazy4danes said...

Love it! Thanks for the history lesson on the S.O.B. ....good to know!

Lacking Productivity said...

As a true biker b*#@%, allow me to set some rules in case you want the little woman to tag along on back, because you don't want her to look like an amateur, when you live by the biker credo "live to ride, ride to live."

She is not allowed to do the S.O.B.--that privilege is allowed strictly to the driver.

If she holds onto you, she just a sissy. The real biker b*#@%es just lean back and give the other women they see a look of "Don't you look at my man tramp or I'll drop kick your fat a**."

but real b*#@% status comes once she learns to carry your and her 64oz soda in the back while not missing a puff from her cigarette.

Babe in Boysland said...

OUCH. "Harles Davidson" totally just handed you your butt on a rusty platter. Sorry man.

That being said, I have little idea about what makes and models bikes are, so I think you look very tough on the back of your HOG (take THAT "Harles Davidson"). Especially with those cherub cheeked blonde babies riding along.

Jewels said...

I'm giving you a standing ovation - well, I was until I had to sit back down and comment. My husband is hoping to purchase a Harley in the coming weeks. He used to own the Firefighter Road King edition a few years ago...until we decided to sell it to pay for our fence. Stupid responsibility.

Oh, and I hear that Kara from Vegas owns a bullet bike. Fitting, no? I'm sure it goes well with her mullet and grammar.

Bringhursts said...

That's hot. Seriously.

Christie said...

My husband would be so jealous of you and your Pillow Fighters hog gang. He's stuck right now being in the "I do whatever my wife says, which does not include buying expensive high-speed machines of death" gang.

It's almost as cool as yours.

Marie said...

If I join can I wear a leather bustier?

Anonymous said...

Have you even looked into BACA, Bikers Against Child Abuse?
There are usually 2 types of people, those that support the work that BACA and those like them do, and people that dont care what happens to children.
Which one are you?

NA said...

I know this post was last year but "Harles" just pissed me off. He's a moron. Don't listen to him.

The 45 degree is for people like you AND the Harley riders. I ride the same bike as you. These Harley riders think their bikes are god. The next time you're on a long trek, look at what bikes are broken down on the side of the road! An HD is the biggest piece of junk on the road. I've taken 2 cross country trips. The first was on a 1975 Honda CB 350 and the second was on a 1980 Yamaha 650. I NEVER saw a Japanese bike broken down...but I couldn't count the number of Harley's I saw dead on the side of the road.

One correction though, Harles is correct with the HOG reference.

Unknown said...

Do you even know what the acronym HOG means? I'm sure you are very excited about your new bike but, it's not a HOG and you're not brethren to HOG riders. Perform 30 seconds of research to discover the facts on this subject. While you're at it, Google "Dunning/Kruger effect".
Your bigoted slur aimed at sport bike riders or "bullet bikers", as you put it, is very revealing as to your true nature. The generalized hatred you teach your children with such remarks ensures they too become of like-mind with groups that practice "Klan" behavior. The "biker" mentality you aspire to cultivate shows a lack of respect towards others far greater than that of any sport bike rider who may have blown past you on the highway at an ungodly speed while aboard your two-wheeled turd.
It may not be too late to save your children from a life of hatred and ignorance however, you'll need to lead by example which seems an unlikely occurrence. One can only hope that, in the absence of morality within the home, somehow your children will learn the importance of respecting fellow human-beings and the vital role it plays in ones ability to be happy and achieve worthwhile goals.
The apple, especially those which are rotten, seldom roll far from the tree.