Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's in a Name?

My brother Tom and I have been rocking under the name The Quinn Brothers for some time now. Unfortunately that name hasn't taken us anywhere. I blame the name because I refuse to believe there could be another explanation for our lack of success, like, we just suck. No, I won't admit that. It can't be true. My mom says we're good and mommies never lie to their children, so we're good. That said, rockin' tunes, dreamy melodies, thought provoking lyrics, and ridiculous good looks just aren't enough. We need a new name.

Below, I listed some ideas off the top of my head. Obviously some aren't as serious as others. But I'm just brain storming here.


Bucket-O-Puke
The Poor Snobs
American Ideal
The Racists
ToadStool Sample
Tender Moments
Tender Loins
The Pulled Hammies
Rubber Souls
Fire Retards
Hop Scotch
Crime Scene Investigators
The Artists Formally Known as The Quinn Brothers
Agent Yellow
Plastic Soldiers
Tar Stain
American Sons
Yankee Doodles
Fenetics
The Windbags
Grand Theft Autocrats
The Special Guys
Small Band
The Orphans
Unholy Cow

That's all I've got for now. But here's the deal, we're hoping everyone who reads this will also leave a suggestion of their own. Whether it's a vote for one already listed, a variation of one or more of the above, or something totally original, please tell us who The Quinn Brothers should be. (If it's important that you know what we sound like before you make your suggestion, go here.) If we choose your suggestion as our new band name you will win two free tickets (valued at $175 each) to a concert put on by a band that has not been named yet. Good luck.

22 comments:

Randy said...

Rubber Souls and Small Band are both great. I speak truthfully.

How about "Sideshow"?

Or "Pants McGee and the Wondermelons"?

BBC said...

You know, my opinion is based on no actual scientific knowledge, but I have always gotten the impression that one-word named bands are always the most successful. Therefore, my vote is for Fenetics. It's unique... and easy to remember.

Jake Titus said...

The Cockblockers
Unfetered Stench
Swingin' Bologna
The Bananna Hamocks
The HobKnobers
Tom & I

Jewels said...

Festered Misters
Spats
Band O' Brothers
Hawt Pawket
Swiss
Bomb Diggity
Shafters

crazy4danes said...

What kind of music to do play? (sorry i haven't heard of your band!) It's hard to think of a name not knowing the genre, so I'm just going to pretend you play good ol' Rock and go off that! :P

I do like Rubber Souls and Tar Stain :D ....

How bout...

Silver Bullets
Tainted Souls
Vagabonds
Murky Waters
Dark Knights
One-Eyed Bandits ;P

steff said...

"Drum Roll Please"
"Slim Stroke"
"Baked Meltdown"

Michael Paul Bailey said...

space monkey mafia

steff said...

"swallowed pride"
"Captive audience"

Bringhursts said...

NOOOOO! What the heck are Todd and I supposed to do with the t-shirts we got specially made that say, "The Quinn Brothers" and "The Quinn Brothers Groupie"?

I think stick with the original. I don't want to stroke your ego further, but the Bringhursts are big fans.

I'm pretty sure you're the next "Smothers Brothers".

Super Cooper said...

explosive diarrhia

LizMcG said...

I think your best bet is go to somewhere, anywhere really, but only because you can't be nowhere, spin arroung in circles with you eyes closed, stop, open you eyes and name the first two things that you see. That will be good enough and will be random enough to make you sound more artsie and legit.
Paper banjo.
see? works great!
good luck

Martha said...

Unholy Cows! I love it, I want it, I dream about it!

Bethany said...

I'm really liking "American Ideal".

Mars said...

Fenetics jumped out at me. Does it mean anything?

Anonymous said...

"Mycroft Holmes" (Sherlock's smarter older brother) That way it's a subtle acknowledgment of me and all the wisdom I am continually imparting to you and Tom.
or "Trout Sap". That's nice too.

Jason Quinn

Salt H2O said...

stale twinkies

Rebecca said...

"Reatards"

Tom Quinn. said...

I have to admit, "The Reatards" struck me as funny. But it's such an inside joke; everyone else would just think we were jerks.

Babe in Boysland said...

Uh, Tom, "reatards" isn't THAT much of an inside joke. Don't you realize how many people are reading this blog? Crazy I tell ya.

Just for the record, I really like your music and I downloaded a bunch of it months ago. For those of you who haven't ventured past The Unmighty's wit and photos of poop, try the music.

I agree with a lot of these comments, you know some very clever people. I agree with the one-word name idea. I like "Fenetics", but I also like "Tom and I", "Swallowed Pride", and "Captive Audience" (although they're not one word).

Why not just be "Unmighty"- you'd already have an established faithful audience.

UNMIGHTY. Do it, I dare you.

Evenstar said...

I like Hop Scotch but how about The Severed Toenails?

Three Coin Productions said...

"The UnMighty." Brilliant! (Seriously, I think it just might work.)

Anonymous said...

If you're serious about changing your band's name, why not just go with "Quinn"?
It's strong, and it fits.

Hi.