Friday, November 2, 2012

First Lines of Books I May Someday Write

1) Steve had never been to Italy, but the moment he laid eyes on that salami in the meat section of his local Costco, he knew for the first time in his life exactly where he was supposed to be. And it wasn’t Costco.


2) “What’s your favorite flavor?” the girl with the ponytail asked the boy.
“Red.” Said the boy.
The girl laughed. “I said flavor. Red is a color.”
The boy looked up from the pebbles he was kicking nervously, and when their eyes met, something passed between them. And the girl with the ponytail knew this boy was special. This boy had autism.


3) It doesn’t matter what they tell you. You never get completely used to life in zero gravity. If anybody could attest to that fact, it was Jack Xander, the captain of the exploratory star ship, Deep Probe. Jack had been The Probe’s captain for over twenty-two years and he still fumbled about in the morning as he tried to locate his toothpaste in his shaving kit. Sometimes, in the mess hall, Jack’s utensils would float off in different directions and he’d just shake his head and say, “I’m gettin’ to old for this shit.” All the cadets would laugh and say, “Good ol’ Captain Xander.”
Then they’d march off to mate with the Lizard Queen.


4) Professor Hill, Ryan's philosophy teacher, paced thoughtfully in front of the class. His lips were pursed as he looked at the floor. It was obvious that Professor Hill was deep in thought, for he always chose his words very carefully. He finally spoke.
"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a noise?" he asked.
Ryan raised his hand tentatively. "Yes?" he answered with a hint of doubt in his voice.
"That's correct" confirmed the Professor with a nod.
"Phew" Ryan sighed audibly.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

So you left a comment on my blog, and your name was vaguely familiar to me. In the time it took for me to click over, I remembered something about a vast blown out diaper explosion. Apparently I was on your blog at some point four years ago. Handle and image seared into my memory forever. Not sure if you should be proud or ashamed ;-)

Admiral Joe said...

Along with these other 'olks, I'm very excited to see activity on tha blog again. Call me sometime if you'd like to do lunch...in Kentucky. Teriney and I have always wanted to see Kentucky.

Jules said...

I'll read all 3 of those. Get to work. *cracking the whip*