Thursday, January 4, 2007

In the beginning...

This marks the beginning of my life as a blogger. And although it sounds like a British insult I’m willing to try it on. (Mmm, cozy. Like a wool sweater.)

I’m feeling particularly reflective at the beginning of this year. Maybe because it’s a new year, maybe because my son was born two weeks ago. Or maybe because this is the year I will breech the big 3-0. I use the word breech because I feel like I’m approaching this birthday butt first with my feet up by my head. To one who has breached the big 4-0, the big 3-0 probably sounds like a welcome and exciting bike ride through a grove of beautiful aspens. But to someone coming from the big 2-9 it sounds more like collapsing during a walk in a forest from an asthma attack and being hit by some old fart on a bike.

The inevitable aside, my son Cash, named after the late great Johnny Cash (because my wife wouldn’t let me name him Don Juan de Ben-O, a name combination of his father and the man my wife wishes was his father), was born on the 18th of December. His name is actually Jackson Cash Quinn. My vote was for all single syllable names, Jack Cash Quinn. My wife however, convinced Jack Quinn said in quick succession sounded Chinese, or like Jaclyn. 

It wasn’t until one of my close friends informed me that Jack Cash sounds remarkably similar to Jackass (thanks Dan, you really saved my jackass on that one) that I was appreciative of my wife’s unbending stubborn pride.

Cash’s 20-month-old sister, Maggie, who calls him “be be” or “be be Cass” still thinks he’s a doll mommy pushed through her tearing nether region (to use the scientific term) for her own playtime pleasure. The fact that he’s so life like and makes real baby crying sounds whenever she pokes his eyes is an added bonus. Its not just his eyes mind you. Eyes are Maggie’s favorite part of all of God’s creatures and she shows her love by pressing on them at any chance she gets while repeating in her cute 20 month voice, “eyes.”

I’m almost 30, the father of two, and it’s a new year. The possibilities are endless.

4 comments:

Lorell said...

I'd like to take this opportunity to make the very first comment on this blog for I know that Ben will be famous, and when that day comes everyone will always know that I was here when it all began.


Oh and your kids are cute.

The UnMighty said...

who was here first? Lorell or Chuck?

Lorell said...

Lorell

Melissa said...

Really? You consider yourself gradumacated and STILL did not happen to slur across the name jack-ass quinn?