Saturday, January 6, 2007

New Years Resolve

As a new year’s resolution my family, spurred by my eldest brother, has jointly engaged in the Body For Life challenge. Even now, looking down at my pasty, rolling, patchily haired torso, I ask myself, “why”. Sure if I were still in my late teens or early twenties this body would seem like a sick fraternity prank. But to a man nigh unto 30, this body is a trophy, a guerdon if you will, for reaching such a noble milestone as thirty. I should feel no need to shroud this body in shame but should be encouraged by those within my circle of influence to display it with pride, to be admired by all.

All I can say is damn the fashion magazines for taking that glory from me. The time of sexual equality is run out and I can’t help but quietly covet the bygone days when men where admired and loved for their minds and tender hearts. Of course, I would be amiss to say women are entirely to blame alone. They are products of their environment; a relative species in a relative world, conditioned and catechized by corporate America till they are no longer free thinkers but assimilated. Damn modern media and the object it has made of a man’s body. And damn those who adhere to that twisted media’s false doctrines. DAMN THEM ALL!

I wish you the best with your goals too.

2 comments:

Bringhursts said...

First off, Ben, I've seen you with your shirt off (and while my wife might find it attractive) there's nothing polished about it. Secondly, please don't ever reminisce about your sexual peak that occured 15 years ago in high school. I find it very disturbing. And furthermore, in talking with older generations, most women seem to find work ethic the most attractive quality in a man. Speaking of work, how's the blogging business treating you? Good luck with Body for Life Resolution.
-Todd

Eldon said...

Good stuff.